If you love gingerbread cookies, you need this recipe in your life. The perfect amount of spice leaps off your taste buds the first bite you take of these perfectly soft and chewy cookies—the ultimate gingerbread recipe to add to your repertoire. Plus, no one will ever know that they are vegan unless you tell them!
Sometimes I get so excited for a recipe that I can’t form coherent sentences in my head to tell you all about it. I wish I could shout from the rooftops my excitement. So instead of going on and on, here is this delicious recipe for vegan gingerbread cookies.
(P.s. There are a lot of steps, but trust me, these really are easy to make!) 🙂
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. fine sea salt
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves
½ (heaping) tsp. ground cinnamon
½ (heaping) tsp. ground ginger
¼ cup melted coconut oil (you can scoop it out in it’s solid form and heat in the microwave for 20-25 seconds to turn liquid)
6 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. unsulphured molasses
2 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk (Optional: powered sugar for decorating—I skipped this because I think they are perfectly wonderful without the extra added sugar, but you may like the look that powered sugar can add to these. I’ll let you decide.)
Makes 9 cookies (You may want to double the recipe for even more delicious gingerbread cookies.)
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients from all-purpose flour to ground ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together coconut oil and dark brown sugar until well combined. Mix in molasses and almond milk and thoroughly mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture, each time thoroughly combining until dough begins to form. Sprinkle flour on your countertop to finish combining dough into a circular shape.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1.5 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F.
- Flour your countertop (or whatever surface you are using for rolling dough). Take dough from refrigerator and roll out so that it is 3/8-1/2 inch thick. (You don’t have to get the ruler out, just eyeball to make sure your dough is a little on the thick side. This will ensure that you have nice soft chewy gingerbread cookies. If you prefer the crunchier type, roll dough thinner.)
- Using your holiday cookie cutters, carefully cut out shapes of dough and place directly on ungreased baking sheet.
- Continue to reform and reroll dough, cut shapes, and repeat until you no longer can. (I balled the reminder of my dough and stuck that on the baking sheet for another cookie just for me.)
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before placing on a cooling rack.
Devour, one cookie at a time!
This recipe is my own, if you repurpose or share this recipe please link to this page and give IronwomanDiaries credit. Thanks!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.