Chocolate is probably my biggest weakness—especially if peanut butter is involved and it’s in ice cream form! 😜 I don’t really care for candy bars, just a piece of dark chocolate is enough to satisfy my
nightly cravings. I’ve also been known to occasionally sprinkle cacao nibs on my overnight oats or raspberry topped English muffin. Luckily though, there are proven health benefits associated with dark chocolate and, especially, cacao nibs.
Have you tried cacao nibs? They are slightly bitter (I always by the unsweetened ones, as those are the purest and pack the most health benefits), but if you add them to overnight oats, a smoothie, or on top of toast, you won’t even notice this. I buy the Navitas Natural brand. They are the perfect excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast and still feel good about it!
As promised, 5 Reasons to eat chocolate today:
- Flavonoids: These powerful antioxidants absorb free radicals that cause damage in the body; like heart disease and cancer.
- Reduced inflammation: Amazingly, chocolate can help reduce inflammation in blood vessels, keeping them both pliable and capable of full dilation for optimum blood flow to your heart and other working muscles.
- Improve your mood: Scientifically speaking, chocolate and cacao stimulate the brain to release a feel good chemical, phenylethamine, that triggers the release of endorphins. This causes dopamine, which is associated with pleasure, to spike in production. All you need to know is, chocolate really can make a person happy!
- Less cravings: Dark chocolate lessens cravings of sweet, salty, and fatty foods. So that means eating a bit of chocolate can actually help you stick to a balanced diet!
- Everything in moderation: There are many other health benefits of dark chocolate and cacao, but when it comes down to it, I’m a believer of everything in moderation. If you are craving chocolate—eat it! Depriving yourself will only cause you to over-indulge later or be unhappy. Life is a balancing act. Finding what balance works for you is the key to your happiness.
So go ahead, eat some chocolate today!