No this recipe isn’t vegan like most of my recipes tend to be. I myself am not 100% vegan (I hate that we have to pigeonhole ourselves into what exactly we are, can’t we just say “healthy”! I do eat fish, mostly salmon and tuna, but I don’t drink milk or eat butter. I do indulge in the occasional slice of brie—I’m from Wisconsin, it’s nearly impossible to avoid cheese and I’ve tried giving it up, but I usually dabble in it now and again—the curse and blessing of being a true Wisconsinite. 😉 But I digress…)
Equipped with the largest zucchini I’ve ever seen—shout-out to my co-worker, Bekky, for thinking of and giving me the massive zucchini her friend grew—and my handy grill master/layering assistant extraordinaire (aka my husband), I set out to make an easy and healthy, but still delicious, zucchini lasagna. The result, an explosion of flavor your taste buds will thank you for.
Not only is this zucchini lasagna fairly easy to make, it also can be made with ingredients you probably already have on hand. In fact this recipe only has 10 ingredients! And I guarantee you already have at least half in your cupboard. So cook this lasagna tonight; your taste buds and your family will thank you. 💜
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 medium zucchini, washed and peeled
½ small onion, chopped
15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
¾ 5.03 oz. (or similar weight) Bellavitano Merlot Cheese, shredded (or Parmesan, or another bold flavored, hard cheese. You can also use shredded mozzarella or, be creative and use whatever you have on hand!)
½ Tbsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. garlic salt with parsley (or just garlic salt—we always buy the kind with parsley added)
½-1 tsp. ground black pepper (I say ½-1 because it depends on how much pepper you like in your recipes. I personally tend to like more pepper because it adds extra flavor for me.)
14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
Makes one, 8×8 pan full (about 4 large servings)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut each zucchini length-wise in 1/8 inch thick pieces. Lay out on a large baking sheet or directly on to your counter top and lightly salt. Let stand for 10 minutes and pat dry with a paper towel. The salt will help remove some of the moisture from the zucchini, which will help ensure you don’t end up with soupy lasagna.
- Turn your grill on to medium high and allow to heat up while the zucchini is resting.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, ½ Bellavitano Merlot cheese that you’ve already shredded, Italian seasoning, garlic salt with parsley, and ground black pepper.
- Add olive oil and onion to a small saucepan and sauté over medium-high heat until the onion just begins to turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes to saucepan with onions and let boil for 2-3 minutes. Turn heat to low and simmer while you do step seven below. (Note: If your sauce is watery, drain excess liquid or use a spoon with slits when layering on lasagna.)
- Grill zucchini 1-2 minutes each side.
- In a 8×8 glass pan, spread, very lightly, some of the tomato sauce. Place grilled zucchini pieces on top, then spread cheese (about 2-3 large sized spoon fulls), and then spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce. Repeat this process until you’ve used up all of your ingredients.
- Sprinkle remaining amount of Bellavitano Merlot cheese on top. Wrap with tinfoil and place in oven. Cook covered 45 minutes. Remove the tinfoil and cook an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into and devouring!
This recipe is my own, if you repurpose or share this recipe please link to this page and give IronwomanDiaries credit. Thanks!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.